Lighthouses Of KeralaThe first lighthouse in the world is the one in Alexandria, built by the Pharaohs, in the shape of a pyramid. World's Highest working Lighthouse is 101 m steel frame tower in Yokohama, Japan (Guinness Record). The Yokohama Marine tower is powered by electricity, a standby generator and backup batteries. Lighthouse at Highest elevation is Lover's Leap, 20 miles south of Mandeville, Jamaica at 558 m above sea level. It is 49 m high Cylindrical tower with red and white horizontal bands. Flashing white every 10 seconds, range 40 nautical miles.
India has 174 major lighthouses and the oldest existing one is in Mahabalipuram, built in the 7th Century AD by the Pallavas. Indian Light House Day is celebrated on September 21. Nagapattinam & Pulicat Lighthouses are 50 m high.
Lighthouses in Kerala are Kasarkod-Mount Dilly-Kannur-Kadalur Point(Thikkodi) -Beypore-Ponnani-Chetwai-Azhikod-Kochi- Manakkodam-Alappuzha-Kovilthottam- Tangasseri (Kollam)-Anjengo-Vizhinjam- Muttom point.
Lighthouses in Lakshadeep islands are at Amini island, Bitra island, Kiltan island (North end & South End), Chetlat, Kadmat, Thinnakkara, Agatti, Androth (East end).
Andaman Nicobar lighthouses
Kasarkod lighthouse30 m high tower with Black & White bands commissioned on 15th September 1984. Ph : 04994-230911, Halogen lamp 100V/90W, 3 km from Kasarkod railway station.
Mount Dilly Lighthouse (Ezhimala)18 m high Triangular Masonry Tower with Red & White Bands commissioned on 23rd June 1979. Ph : 04985-230232. 15 km from Payyannoor railway station. Light house uses 230V 400 W Metal Halide lamp.
Kannur Lighthouse23 m high Circular RCC tower with Red & White Bands.Ph : 0497-2707838, 3 km from Kannur railway station. A 30 m four column RCC structure supporting a service room. The lighthouse was commissioned on the 1st August 1979. Subsequently the incandescent light source was replaced by a 230 V 400W Metal halide lamp on 21st September 1998. The direct drive system was also integrated simultaneously.
The Portuguese Fort St Angelo served as a prominent land mark. In 1843 a system of hoisting a lantern with oil wick lamp was introduced. A masonry pedestal was constructed in 1903 on the rampart of the fort and a double wick oil lamp inside the 4th order dioptric lens and lantern with arrangement for occultation was placed on this pedestal. The light used to be available during fair seasons only – September to May. In 1924 some improvements took place. The light was shifted in 1939 on to a 16 m steel trestle erected on the northern bastion of the Fort. The equipment was replaced by a flashing light with 10 sec character working on DA gas in 1948. This light remained in operation till the new Lighthouse Tower was constructed at the present location during 1975-76.
The PRB-42 equipment with 6V 30W `C’ type sealed beam lamps, supplied by M/s. J. Stone India, Calcutta, was installed on this tower. The lighthouse was commissioned into service on 25th July 1976. The 2.4m diameter GI lantern house fabricated at Cochin was installed at the station and the `C’ type sealed beam lamps were replaced by `D’ type sealed beam lamps on 31st May 2003.
Kadalur Point Lighthouse34 m Circular Stone Masonry Tower with Black & White Bands. Ph : 0496-2691064. Commissioned on 20th October 1909. 230V 400W Metal Halide lamp with direct drive system. It is 9 Km from Quilandy on Shoranur-Mangalore rail section. It was felt necessary to provide a lighthouse at this location mainly to warn mariners about the submerged Sacrifice rock about 10 km off the shore.
The construction of tower commenced during 1906-07 and was completed in early 1909. The installation of optical equipment PV burner etc supplied by M/s. Chance Bros. Birmingham was then taken up and the Lighthouse was commissioned into service on 20th October 1909. Since then the PV equipment has rendered excellent service till the Light source was replaced by an incandescent electrical lamp on 16th March 1995. The 230V 400W Metal Halide lamp replaced the incandescent lamp on 8th August 1996. Simultaneously the direct drive system was also incorporated.
Beypore Lighthouse30.48 m Hexagonal Masonry Tower with Red & White Bands commissioned on 21st November 1977. Ph : 0495-2470215. 4 km from Farooke railway station (10 km Kozhikode). 30V 400W Metal halide lamp with direct drive system.
Ponnani Lighthouse30 m Circular RCC Tower with Black & White Bands commissioned on 17th April 1983. Ph : 0494-2666028. 20 km from Kuttippuram railway station. MH lamp with direct drive system.
Chetwai Lighthouse30 m Circular RCC tower with Red and white bands commissioned on 9th September 1986. Ph : 0487-2532232. 8 km from Guruvayoor railway station. 30V 200W `D’ type sealed beam lamps.
Azikod Lighthouse30 m Square RCC Tower with Black & White bands (5 Nos) commissioned on 30th April 1982. Ph : 0480-2819612. 8 km from Kodungallur. 30V 400W Metal Halide lamp with direct drive system. Radio Beacon.
Kochi Lighthouse(Vypin)46 m high Circular Ribbed Double shell RCC Tower with Red and White bands commissioned on 15th November 1979. Four flash White every 20 sec having a range of 28 nautical miles. Ph : 0484-2502443.2.4 m diameter Lantern. 10 km from Vypin jetty at Puthu Vaipe. 230V 400W Metal halide lamp with direct drive system.
There is regular passenger cum cargo ship service from Kochi to different islands in Lakshadweep. Other cargo ships call on the port regularly. Kochi is the base of Indian Navy’s Southern Command. The Cochin Shipyard built its first vessel ‘Rani Padmini’ (85000 tonnes) and sailed it here in 1984. It handles the repairs of India's only aircraft carrier INS Viraat.