Some variants are:
- Mysore masala dosa: masala dosa with coconut and onion chutneys spread inside along with the potato stuffing
- Vegetable masala dosa: instead of potatoes, peas and other vegetables are mashed to make the stuffing
- Rava masala dosa: rava (semolina), especially the Bombay Rava, is used instead of rice
- Chinese masala dosa: noodles and other Chinese ingredients like schezwan sauce are added
- Paneer chilli dosa: stuffed with sautéed cottage cheese (paneer) and capsicum
- Palak Masala dosa: coated with a thin layer of puréed spinach, and filled with the traditional potato/onion mixture
- Masala dosa: one or two fried eggs served on top
- Davanagere benne masala dosa: named after Davanagere in Karnataka, this is prepared by adding liberal doses of butter and also a potato filling (palya).
- Set Masala dosa: or simply set masala, mostly served in Mysore, contains two smaller masala dosas. Sometimes one of them is filled with vegetable korma/saagu and the other one with the usual potato-onion palya.
Where to order?
Go to any good vegetarian hotel in South India, and it is available.
Masala Dosa wiki page
View Larger Map