Organic farming initiatives by the Palliakkal service cooperative bank

I was supposed to be at the bank at 3pm for a small meeting. I reached there around twenty minutes early. Thanks to google maps. Unfortunately this particular bank is not on the google maps. The nearest landmark on the google map is the Union bank. Why this bank is noy yet there on the google maps, when even my house is registered on it. The best reason I can speculate is their local clientele, who do not need a map to locate this bank, as the bank which was registered in the year 1943 (way before independence of India from the British) does not need to be guided to. It is part and parcel of the local community. Since I reached slightly early, I ventured into the grocery store and the fertilizer stores run under the supervision of the bank. It's all organic. I could not resist the temptation to taste a couple of plantains (njaly poovan) and I ended up purchasing half kg of it. I had a nice discussion about the application of organic manure to my own coconut and nutmeg trees. Logically, everything must start with the soil testing (swot analysis of the soil), before prescribing the right manure mix. They have a nursery there which sells seeds and saplings. By that time my colleagues phone call disrupted my tempo of exploration of organic farming which always interested me, yet lacked any knowledge about how to proceed. She said I am at the branch office where as the scheduled meeting was at the head office. I had hardly five minutes to reach the head office. Fortunately I could make it on time. Here are some photographs of their organic farm produce. I am planning further visits to understand the farm life in Ezhikkara village, and will post my updates here as and when they happen.







Comments